Saturday, July 9, 2011

The View from Here

This has not been a typical day for me. In fact, as I write this, I'm still in my jammies, and both my hair and my teeth are unbrushed. Yikes!

But when I awoke this morning, it was overcast. I felt that this was a good excuse for me to stay in bed a wee bit longer. I decided I would work on my latest knitting project and enjoy the delicious morning coffee my husband brewed and then delivered to me in bed. Am I a little princess or what?! The coffee was accompanied by a variety of yummy treats that Heron and Kieran purchased (while I was still slumbering) from my new favorite downtown establishment, Mousse Island Bakery.  Leanne's homemade fruit pastries are out of this world! Actually, having the bakery in town has really helped me to step up my running regimen...

There's Kieran's coloring book on the left. My current knitting pattern comes from the book pictured, More Last- Minute Knitted Gifts. You can just see my little Patrick peeking out over the book. He stuck to me like glue all day,  never once chastising me for choosing to spend my day lounging in bed rather then tending to all those dirty dishes and piles of laundry. He makes such an agreeable companion.
While munching, sipping, and knitting, I listened some of my favorite radio shows on NPR, including Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. After those shows came to a close, I switched it over to CBC One and listened to Definitely Not the Opera. During which time I had refreshed my coffee cup and made lots of progress with my newest knitting project. Kieran and I even did a little coloring. Well, I did a little coloring. He did a lot of coloring. What was Heron doing? Oh, just rubbing up some ribs with some sort of absolutely scrumptious concoction that he made from scratch, then grilled on the barbecue for hours. Have I ever mentioned that I am, most possibly, the luckiest girl in the world?

Kieran stuck with me for a good portion of my self-imposed bed-in, coloring away.
Even with two cups of java under my belt (or actually, the stretchy waistband of my yoga pants) I was not in the least bit inclined to make my way into the world, even when the sun popped out from behind the clouds. I was happy to be taking a breather. These past couple weeks have been filled with all kinds of fun activity. but at the moment, I was feeling thankful to be cocooned in the coziness of my bed, my son and my furry little beastie at my side.

My latest knitting project for a special baby that should be entering this world any minute. Easy Baby Cardigan  by Joelle Hoverson, found in the aforementioned book More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. A beautiful and easy little sweater. Knit entirely in one piece (yay, no icky seams!) this would be a great first sweater for a beginning knitter. My sweater is a soft, pretty green wool. If I keep going at this rate, I'll have this little beauty done by tomorrow! I have some sweet mother-of-pearl button I think will suit this cardi very nicely.


Kieran has wholeheartedly joined the latest upcycling/refashion craze by turning a bait bag he discovered on the beach into an everyday hat. I quite like it.
 Ahh. What a lovely way to spend the day. Wishing all of you a little bit of peace and quiet this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment