Monday, January 2, 2012

Him

I haven't been that inspired lately to share my thoughts on the interwebs. But today is different.

It's the beginning of a new year. And the twelfth year of our marriage. Is it really possible that another whole year has passed

We spent a lovely day together yesterday, the two of us, hiking to the spot where we got married. It's such a dramatic spot on the coast and never disappoints, even without the sun. I was feeling lucky, hopeful, and happy.

But my gratitude for Heron actually hit me pretty hard this morning when I awoke to a sink full of his beard hair.

Who else would make a Christmas  feast of Scotch eggs? Yeah, that's my man!
Now, this may sound a little gross to some of you. And it kinda is. But he's been talking about trimming his beard for awhile now (despite my protests) and he obviously decided this would be the morning. He even woke me to before he hurried out the door for work to show me how he looked. I'll admit, it does look nice, despite my preference for the more bushy look.

Anyway, I guess he was in a hurry, because the discarded hair was all over the sink when I hauled myself to the the bathroom this morning. I'll admit, I was a bit shocked to see the beard leftovers. Usually he's pretty good about cleaning up.

Hamilton Cove January 1, 2000

Hamilton Cove January 1, 2012
And that's when I took a real moment to reflect on our relationship. The give and take of a loving relationship means that it's okay to leave your beard hair in the sink. Or dirty laundry on the floor. Over the years, we've learned to cut each slack (lots and lots of slack) and give each other a break. We do our best to give the other person the benefit of the doubt and realize it's the other stuff that matters. The really important stuff. Like the way he shoves the dishes out of the way, without complaint, before he makes his family dinner. Dishes I should have taken care of. It's the way he sees the big picture, and how active and amazing his mind is. It's how he never judges me or makes me feel stupid. It's how I feel safe with him and how patient and wonderful he is with out son. How patient and wonderful he is with me. And let's face it, it's how he looks at me and holds me after all these years together.

These things, and so much more, are worth putting up with a little beard hair in the sink. So I scoop up the hair and toss it in the garbage. And I look forward to seeing him when he gets home. 

6 comments:

  1. happy anniversary! Jeff always leaves his beard hair in the sink... hopefully in 10 more years I won't be as grossed out by it! take care,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Lindy, this was so sweet. It always warms my heart so much to see a couple that is truly in love and also the best of friends. I can actually see the connection between you and Heron when we're together and I think that's amazing. Happy Anniversary and high five on the beard hair! Rob shaved his at the beginning of December but decided to grow out a "Decembeard." He's keeping it going for "Januhairy." haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niek *never* cleans the sink after he shaves, lOl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. You made me teary eyed. Many you have many, many more happy years together. You know, you two have GOT it together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you mean you didn't throw it out the window for a bird to build a nest with?!

    ReplyDelete